(thanks to Neila for this idea)
- Misuse of the word "anxious" when the proper choice is "eager." There is a difference! If you're anxious to do something, then don't be mad when I'm late.
- Gum popping and other mouth noises. I know I've harped about that before, but it really really bugs me. Just keep your lips together, is that really so hard?
- When someone who knew me in college refuses to stop talking about those phenomenally stupid things I did. Yeah, I know it was really funny that time when I did that thing. But let's move on, wanna? Besides, I haven't taken off my shirt in public in a really, REALLY long time.
- People who think all lawyers are rich. Or evil. Cause we're certainly not.
- Missing the previews when I go the movies. The previews are an essential part of the whole movie-going experience. If I'm not going to make it in time to see the previews, I just don't go.
- When someone says "Where's it at?" It's not any easier to say "Where's it at?" than it is to say "Where is it?" I just don't understand the attraction. "Where's it located at?" is even more confounding. That's a whole extra syllable! Just stop talking after the word "located." Really.
- When someone in a movie or on TV addresses one person with the word "y'all." "Y'all" is not just a southernism for "you" at any time, only if the "you" is plural. It's short for "you all." It should be used when addressing more than one person. That's the beauty of "y'all," it clarifies whether you're speaking just to me or to everyone.
- When some unscheduled event causes my TV shows to be on at a time other than originally scheduled and my DVR doesn't know it. If the President's going to come on and mess with my very precariously balanced TV schedule, then someone needs to update the Interactive Guide so my DVR and I know what's going on.
- Sexist TV commercials. Right now there's a cell phone ad airing where the husband is strapped to a chair in torment watching his wife and daughters yap-yap-yap their cell phone minutes into overage, and thus big bills for HIM to pay. There was one for a local grocery store that appalled me. The wife is listing the things she needs for a party, and after each item, the husband says "[Name of Store]." And she's all, "Why do you keep saying [Name of Store]?" And he says, "[Name of Store] has everything you need, at a price I can afford." WTF? I also hate the ones with men who are stupid or can't load a dishwasher or don't know how to microwave macaroni or whatever. I'm just glad that choosy Dads also choose Jif now.
- Watching most anything on television live (i.e., not on the DVR). I'm constantly reaching for the remote to fast forward through commercials and boring bits. I don't think we watch anything while it's actually on anymore. Even football-- they have so many commercials, and games go much faster when you can skip the time between each play, not to mention missing the lame jibber jabber of the announcers.
- Having to answer the phone without seeing the Caller ID first. Sometimes when the phone rings, Mr. Incredible looks at the caller ID, pushes "talk," and hands it to me without telling me who it is. There is no pattern to this. It could be someone he knows I want to talk to (even then I like to be prepared), but he also does it when he doesn't recognize the number. This is how I end up answering poll questions for fifteen minutes or buying something I don't need or donating money we don't have!
- Regional broadcasting of football games. I miss a lot of Panthers games because the folks at FOX and CBS think I should want to watch some other team. I know I'm geographically closer to the hometowns of the Titans, the Rams, the Saints, the Bengals, and the Cowboys, even. But geography does not dictate loyalty!
- Spending time with people I don't like. Life is too short! I'd rather stay home and watch TV with Mr. Incredible than hang out with people I don't enjoy. I'm not going to be rude or hurt people's feelings, but I don't want to waste time developing friendships with people I, well... don't care to be friends with.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants