Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Convincing

"You don’t have to convince the right man to do the right thing."

Dude.  How come I didn't know this all along?

Kelly at Cleavage often says what's in my head in such a lovely, concise way. Isn't that nice of her?

This one especially, and especially today, when I'm sitting here thinking about Fella and how he keeps doing and saying exactly the right thing. Over and over. Without any persuasion or cajoling or influence from me. Without me charming him, or tricking him, or convincing him.  He just does what he does, and it happens to be awesome.

This is completely and totally unprecedented.

People. Are you telling me that all along, this whole time, this is how it has been in normal, healthy relationships and I just didn't get it?  I didn't see, or know, or realize that it's not about what I can trick him into- it's about what he just DOES. 

I look at some of my friends' relationships and I think, wow, they sure are lucky. Those guys are good to them, and sweet, and honest, and considerate. But no, that's not luck. That's what people are SUPPOSED to be like. And everyone sighs and says to me, "Duh."

What the hell, y'all.   Learn something new every day, I guess.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

But have really entertained us along the way!!! Now what are we going to do????

secret agent woman said...

I'm okay with someone not being awesome all the time. But good and kind of their own accord - that's essential.

Desert Songbird said...

Well, let's face it. Men are not mind readers. Our girlfriends seem to be, but men are not. They're....guys. Essentially, they have simple minds with simple tastes and simple needs. Still, if they are the right person for you, then you really DON'T need to tell them (often) what the right thing to do, say, or act is. They do, say, or act that way. When you DO have to say something, the message is received with love and respect. At least, that's been my experience.

Just sayin'..........