Monday, May 05, 2008

A few years back (okay, at least 10 years back) I worked at the Homewood Suites hotel. I worked the 11pm to 7am shift as night auditor. I was trained by a coworker for my first few shifts, and then I would see her often either when I would come in to work or when I would leave. We were both students at the U of M, though I didn't ever see her on campus. She was cute, and fun, and always happy. Even at 7am.

After I left that job, and we both had graduated, I would see her at U of M events. She worked for the University Alumni Association. I didn't know her that well, but she was a nice girl, and she was very enthusiastic about our university.

Last week I heard she was sick. A malignant brain tumor. She died on Friday. When reading this post written by her father, I realized she was married to another friend of mine. A guy I had known in band in college. He and I weren't close, either, but we were friends. And he was close with several of my friends. Her funeral was today. It would have been only their first anniversary.

5 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

How incredibly sad. Sad, tragic, and absolutely heart-breaking.

andria said...

That's so sad.

My college roommate died of a brain tumor too. She had breast cancer five years previous and then one day had a headache and six weeks later she was dead. She was 27. Really makes you appreciate your own life a little more.

Glad to see your back on.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh my, how horribly sad and tragic.

Fresh Girl said...

That is so sad. I read about her death on another blog...forget which one now. :(

I'm glad to have you back around these parts though!

Me said...

I just popped in today and wanted to say hey. :)

When I hear stories like this it makes me stop and take note of my priorities and be a little more thankful....