Monday, September 27, 2010

Hometown

One thing about moving back to your hometown-- it doesn't take long to feel, well, at home.  Every once in a while I crane my neck to see something newly built, or wonder about some building no longer standing.  But the streets are still the same, and I still can find my way around like I'm navigating the veins on the back of my hand.  It's home.  It's comfortable, familiar, and easy. 

In other news, I'm better in a courtroom, after years away, than I used to be.  I haven't been in full trial mode yet, but I've stood and spoken to a judge in a courtroom full of lawyers.  This was always the height of my fear... I don't mind making mistakes in front of judges, or even being scolded by them. But having it happen in front of other attorneys always skeered me.  Not anymore.  I finally thought about the worst case scenario. Honestly, what is the worst that could happen?  I could be slightly embarassed?  Boo hoo.  Compare that to what I've dealt with in the past few years and that's a freaking walk in the park.  And less fear = better performance.  Who'd have thunk it. 

I feel more comfortable, more calm, far more peaceful than I've felt in years. Maybe ever.  And it's not just being in Memphis.  It's something else... I don't know if it's from going to church or just how good it feels to stop banging your head against the wall, but damned if I don't just think life is pretty cool right now. I even managed to make it through multiple exchanges of email with my ex-husband without even once calling him a cheating, lying, liar who lies.  It's a new leaf, I tell you.

4 comments:

secret agent woman said...

I'm glad it seems to be such a good fit for you.

And you might want to try "liar, liar, pants on fire."

The Lady said...

Bravo for you, my dearest! I am very proud and happy of and for you.
Katie and I can still plan a hit, you know!

Desert Songbird said...

:)

Just............... :)

I'm glad your soul seems to be at peace.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I'm so happy to read this! So glad you are "home" and it feels like home, even though I know you loved living in CO. Sounds like some peace or maturity or something you've got going on up there, good stuff :)

Have a blessed week!