Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Oh Boy

It's a girl. :)

Funny, I spent the past four months convincing myself that a boy would be okay, boys are as awesome as girls, boys are BETTER than girls, that by the time I found out it was a girl I was confused and didn't know how to feel! 

Fella wanted a boy, I know, but he's still tickled (pink) and was already talking about how she's going to be Daddy's Girl. 

Speaking of Daddy's girl... One of the things I had thought about (at the suggestion of my counselor) in this whole "a boy would still be good" conversation with myself is that having a boy would allow me to reconcile some of the feelings I have about my own absent father and males in general, and would allow me to have a hand in raising a man that would potentially be a good father one day. To right the my father's wrong, so to speak.  In the doctor's office yesterday, I realized that having a daughter gives me the opportunity to give to her the one thing I did not have, because I know that no matter what happens, my little girl will always have her daddy.

I cried when I first thought that, when I told the story later to P, and again right now.  Hormones are crazy things, y'all.



1 comment:

Desert Songbird said...

I smiled reading this, because I experienced similar feelings with both of my pregnancies. The biggest revelation I had when I was pregnant with my daughter and I was distraught because I wanted a boy first was that I had the power to change what kind of relationship I would have with my daughter. And you know what? I do. My relationship with my daughter is incredibly close, very unlike the one I had with my mother. I can honestly say that my daughter likes me, loves me, and wants to spend time with me. In fact, she wants to stay home and commute to college rather than going away.

I really do have the power! And so do you. :)