Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sunday Summary

Sorry, DeAngelo. I missed it.

Tonight, the University of Memphis retired DeAngelo Williams' number in a pre-game ceremony. Sunday nights are not for going to college football games. Especially when your team is phenomenally sucktastic like the Tigers. So I didn't go. And from what I could see of the crowd on ESPN, I wasn't the only one. I'm sad that he didn't get a better celebration, but it wasn't enough to get me out of the house tonight. As I type this, the Tigers are losing 21-0 in the first quarter. So I can't say I'm sorry I'm not there.

And, so. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life, as it were. I have a lot of decisions to make... what kind of job to look for, can I afford to be too picky, does the job I want actually exist, etc. I wish I had smacked the gum popper one good time on my way out, but alas, I did not. Perhaps if I had time for the shock to wear off I might have taken the opportunity. I did take a handful of my favorite pens, and I told her so as I left. So There.

By way of explanation for my unexpected unemployment, my firm decided they did not have need for a junior associate. Conveniently for them, they made this decision in time to avoid paying me a holiday bonus, on which I was eagerly counting. Conveniently for me, they made the decision in time for me to... um... well I did say that I wanted to stay home with Merlin. So, there's that.

I know that I can use it as an opportunity to move on to greener pastures. But I really, really HATE looking for the greener pastures. Hate. Greener pastures, if you're reading this, call me.

Favorite Football Names This Week: Sam Olajubutu, Ryan Succop

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh no! That is awful. Good luck in your job search. (I hate the job search, so I mean this in a truly sincere way!)

Matt said...

I feel your pain in an all too familiar way. But unemployment has some benefits; with extra time, you can finally do all kinds of things you've been planning (like get on a gym workout schedule or play in mud). I hope your pastures are green and healthy.